Today marks a shift for Operation Every Band as we get back to our roots, that is if one can have roots after only a year in existence. This site was started with the simple but expansive goal of reviewing every band that was showcasing at SXSW this year. With one of me and over 2,000 bands to cover, it was an endurance test as much as it was a music discovery project. So why not do it again?
Starting today, we will be reviewing every band on the SXSW 2012 roster. Here’s how it works:
- We’ve translated the roster to a spreadsheet with some open columns: Location, Genre, Rating (1-10) and three open spots for short descriptors on what we hear.
- Every band gets a fair shot, which means multiple songs and a concentrated listen. We’ll rate the bands based on what we hear. Of course, this is totally subjective, but that’s the whole point of the project.
- Two more writers will be helping me out with some particular genres. Nathan Headden will be reviewing all the hip-hop and world music acts while Lucas Holl is taking over the electronic genre. I’m really excited to get some new perspectives from some aural experts in their particular fields. Welcome!
- The ratings are on a pretty tough scale, so keep in mind that a “5” is pretty good and anything above a “7”, we’d be excited to catch a full set of. Even a “3” or “4” means that we saw some potential there.
- Anything above a “7” gets a full write up and a video which we’ll post independently to allow for easy sharing.
- Lastly, we’re really going to go for a lot of exclusive coverage, so be on the lookout for interviews and notes from our favorite new discoveries. Come SXSW, we’ll be delivering quality content and coverage and are hoping to pull together some sort of showcase of our own.
That’s the skinny – enjoy the coverage and hopefully we’ll be introducing you to some of your new favorite bands! Let us know any thoughts or suggestions by sending a note to email@example.com.