OEB’s SXSW Grids – A Preview
This year, we decided to open up Operation Every Band to donations after much debate. The support we’ve received in the last few weeks has been overwhelming, most containing some sort of personal ‘thank you’ that keeps me going every night, determined to complete the mission of ‘every band’ this year with no drop in the quality of coverage. While donators get our gift bag (more below) at any dollar amount, the average donation is currently over $20, showing the above-and-beyond mentality the SXSW community has always shown. In future weeks, we’ll take some time to highlight our growing OEB family as well.
As promised, we’re prepping some nice gift packages for our donators (see all info here), including digital access and a hard copy of the SXSW 2013 OEB Grids. While this is exclusive to our donators, I did want to give a little preview using some made-up info (but a real showcase!). This is just a mock up, but here are some of the things you can expect to see on the Grids (see the picture above):
- Our Top Showcase/Day Party recommendations, with up to 20 different showcases per time slot (split between day and night from Tuesday night to Saturday night – 9 sheets total)
- Venues and addresses (trust me, this is crucial) for the top showcases
- OEB’s score for the artist, color-coded like on the spreadsheet
- Popularity Index for every artist on the top showcases and one-off recommendations. Using a formula, I’ve converted artists’ top YouTube views into a 1-10 number, attempting to answer that all-important SXSW question: line or no line?
- One Off recommendations for artists that weren’t on the strongest showcase or party, but are still worth going out of your way for.
As always, you can donate and join our extended family in order to get a copy of the Grids among other unexpected goodies. To contribute, click on the ‘donate’ button on the left side of the Operation Every Band homepage.